Chapel of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary
On Monday, May 18th, 2009 at 5:00 pm we celebrated the first Mass in our lovely Chapel that contains both the old and the new. As we enter the Narthex we are greeted by the statues of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Sacred Heart of Mary as well as those of St. Jude and St. Anthony that were in the old church. As we enter the worship space we see the marble statue of the Pieta which was transferred from the Church of St. Ann on East 12th Street. The baptismal font and the copper cross above it are from the church. Within the worship space on the north wall is the restored painting of the Sacred Heart. There are six restored and backlit leaded glass windows on the east and west walls that were originally in the church. The altar was created by using central panels from the side altars of the church along with some new marble pieces. The cross with corpus that hangs on the reredos as well as the electronic organ were also taken from the church.
Let us pray fervently to the Lord that all who enter the church through these doors in order to hear the word of God and celebrate the sacraments may heed the voice of Christ: it is Christ who gave Himself to us as the true door to eternal life.
<Book of Blessings, Order for the Blessing of New Church Doors>
Msgr. Joseph M. Congedo was the first pastor of
Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary which was established in 1914. At
the time when the Parish was erected in 1914, there were over 10,000
people of Italian extraction living in the area bounded by 23rd and
42nd Streets, Lexington Avenue and the East River.
On October 4, 1915, the cornerstone of the new
parish church was laid by His Eminence John Cardinal Farley. On October
1, 1916 His Excellency Archbishop John Bonzano, Apostolic Delegate
to the United States, dedicated the Church. The parish plant
increased in size as adjoining buildings were added to the property.
The cornerstone of the new school was laid in the
Sister Servants of the Immaculata staffed the school. In September
of 1928, the first freshman class entered the new high school named
Immaculata, after the heavenly patroness of their dedicated Sisters.
The following priests have served as pastors or administrators of
Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary Parish:
Rev. John McEvoy
Rev. Msgr. Thomas A. Dunn
Rev. Msgr. William Rinschler
Rev. Albert DeLuca
Rev. Msgr. Donald Sakano
Rev. Msgr. Lawrence Connaughton
Rev. Robert J. Robbins
1914 – 1954
1954 – 1962
1962 – 1971
1971 – 1985
1985 – 2006
2006 – 2007
2012 – Present